FY16 May Executive Summary
Finance and Budget
- Updated projection will be distributed at board meeting. Idol fell short of goals and NEA came in $10,000 under. Some upside in foundation giving and individual giving.
- Recommendation from Finance to bring a proposal to board that FY17 budget (and future budgets) include a $20,000 surplus before approval is given.
- First draft of FY17 budget complete. Second draft will be ready for Finance and Board in June.
- Joey Hillesheim is going to 4/5-time beginning in mid-May as he returns to school part-time.
- David Geist has been hired as a baritone for the 2016-2017 season.
Cantus and Chanticleer
- Successful announcement on Classical MPR and Facebook on Thursday, May 19. Strong interest in Gold sponsorship tickets!
- Season announcement and on-sale Thursday, June 2 (coinciding with Covers).
- Single tickets on sale September 6.
- October 13-23 No Greater Love than This
- December 15-22 Christmas with Cantus
- March 30-April 9 Romeo & Juliet
- June 2-10 Covers
Department of Labor Rule on Exempt/Non-exempt
- The Department of Labor announced their updated ruling on determining the difference between exempt and non-exempt employees. The rule goes into effect on December 1. There are no exemptions from the ruling for nonprofit organizations.
- “Exempt” means that employees are exempt from earning overtime (time and a half) after 40 hours of work.
- To be “exempt” an employee must make at least $47,467 and meet a “duties” test that determines if an employee has some independent decision-making ability.
- All current Cantus employees have been considered “exempt” including singers.
- The ruling will be complicated to implement for singers. While we have until December 1 to implement the ruling, we will decide on how we follow this ruling in time for the budget to be approved.
- HSR dates and repertoire are confirmed for next season.
- Touring programs (No Greater Love than This and CWC) confirmed for 2016-2017.
- Plans this summer for continued work on our collaboration with St Thomas (The Discovery of Sight)