Executive Director's Report
General and Admin
- Audit: Our auditors began their work during the week of September 25, shortly after the last board meeting. MUCR provided a draft, which the finance committee reviewed this week. We anticipate bringing the audit to the board in November.
- Cash flow: We have exited the fall’s tightest stretch. I expect the next tight period may be in May, similar to last spring.
- Major Gifts: Wendy, Zac, and I had a lunch meeting with Doug Baker, who spoke highly of Cantus and pledged a generous multi-year gift. Joey and I are working on strategies to strengthen relationships with him and other donors.
- Athwin Foundation: The trustees will meet on Nov. 1 to consider a request for a special grant (linked to our proposal submitted last spring). Foundation administrator Jim Storm also shared that the Foundation will be going through changes in the next few years: administration will shift to U.S. Bank, the trustees may expand to include a new generation of the family, and giving areas and strategies may shift in 2019.
- Wenger Foundation: Proposal submitted. (renewal)
- Twin Cities Opera Guild: Proposal submitted for HSR. (renewal)
- Next steps: John is compiling themes from the Oct. 14 session and expects to have an early draft of a strategic plan next month.
- Evaluation: Also supported through our Athwin grant, Sam and I will have a meeting with Karen Storm, an evaluation/assessment consultant from the University of Minnesota, about how we can evaluate our programs in ways that could make us more competitive for grants.
- Thank you: Thanks to everyone involved for an exciting, thought-provoking day full of ideas and energy! Special thanks to Katie G. for hosting us at her office and to another board member who provided lunch that day.
General and Admin
- Concerts: Thank you to Wendy, Jim, and Brock who offered the welcoming remarks at MacPhail, the Ordway, and Wayzata Community Church, respectively. Thanks also to Nancy, Wendy, Katie G, Craig, David, and Brock for volunteering to help at the subscription tables.
- 360s: Singers and staff are beginning their formal review process, which solicits peer feedback.
- Rob: Our agent, Rob Robbins, attended the Discovery of Sight performance in Stillwater on Oct. 14 and spoke highly of the program. I appreciated the chance to meet him in person, and Rob joined the Artistic Council and me for a breakfast meeting the following morning.
- Away: I will be out of the office from Nov. 6 to 13.