Executive Director's Report
Executive Director’s Report
General, Admin, and HR
- Cash flow: Our tight period is behind us, and – barring any major surprises – cash flow should be fine, looking at least six months out. Our checking account in the short term (as of 10.17.18):
- Oct. 16: $16,118
- Nov. 1: $35,026
- Nov. 16: $26,410
- Dec. 1: $26,759
- Dec. 16: $82,778
- Jan. 1: $64,070
- Jan. 16: $67,417
- Feb. 1: $73,903
- Reserves: In October, I moved the bulk of our MSAB arts learning grant to savings to draw on as appropriate as we complete this project. Our savings account balance is now at $63,234; the cash flow numbers reflect only the checking account balance.
- Audit: Mahoney Ulbrich Christiansen & Russ completed their fieldwork in late September and provided an early draft for the finance committee’s discussion. Our plan is to bring the audit and 990 to the board in November.
- Tour revenue: AAM has now secured $480,000 worth of bookings for this season – roughly $25,000 over what we had budgeted for FY19.
- FYI, Rob Robbins plans to be at the Oct. 21 concert at Wayzata Community Church.
- Getty: $5,000 grant received.
- Knight/Ordway, Fredrikson & Byron Foundation: Proposals submitted.
- Minnesota State Arts Board: We will learn next month whether we will receive MSAB access and touring grants (approx. $28K and $35K gross, respectively).
- Major gifts: Cantus alum (former singer and board member) Paul Wilson has generously pledged a matching gift this year to encourage former Cantus members to contribute to the organization. We are ironing out details.
General, Admin, and HR
- Evaluations: Cantus singers and staff are currently doing 360 reviews.
- Live recording: We will record the Oct. 21 concert in Wayzata for use in a live album, building on what we learned last spring with “For the Beauty of the Earth.”
- Cantus’ “lost” recording: In July 2016, Cantus recorded an album for record label Entertainment One, which promptly closed its classical division. After two years of trying to pry it loose, we now have the master and are examining potential, appropriate next steps.
- Focus groups: I am working with Beth Anne Thompson to plan focus groups in the coming months and look forward to sharing details as they come together.