Executive Director’s Report
General, Admin, and Misc.
- Cash flow: Although the specific numbers have shifted slightly, the big picture remains the same: Cash flow is tight through this fall and requires drawing upon reserves to a significant extent. We are likely to be in negative territory in February.
- Audit: Audit and 990 work has begun already, and MUCR will be on site beginning on Monday. The auditors expect to have a preliminary draft ready for the finance committee in October, with the aim of bringing a final draft to the board in November.
- Touring shortfall: The touring situation for this season looks increasingly challenging, as a number of pending dates have fallen through. Currently, we have $172,600 in confirmed/contracted bookings for FY20. There are three concerts and one education outreach currently pending; assuming our average rates hold steady, that is $36K in additional revenue.
- I believe it is unlikely that all of those pending dates will come through. Even if they did, we would still be short of the $250K budgeted for touring, based on Rob’s (at the time) pessimistic projection. Unfortunately, I think we need to brace ourselves for the possibility that touring may not hit $200K in FY20.
- Separate from the three pending dates mentioned above, there is the possibility of a Canadian festival tour next July, which could generate a good amount of revenue ($40K?). Rob expects to have a better sense of its likelihood in the next four or six weeks.
- A post-Rob future?: The Artistic Council and I have begun a few confidential conversations that explore what presenters look for, how to accurately/fairly assess Rob, what alternatives exist to Rob, and how we might pursue those alternatives. The ultimate result(s) could be seeking new representation, bringing booking in house, or continuing our relationship with Rob, and we are seeking input on the pros and cons of each.
General, Admin, and Misc.
- Album: Signum, an independent record label based in the UK, is interested in releasing the eOne album recorded (but never released) in July 2016! We are still ironing out a few details, but this is a very exciting prospect – it would be Cantus’ first album on a record label, with marketing reach through Europe and Asia.
- Staff transition: With board support, I have interviewed two candidates for the development job, and another two for the box office role. I will extend an offer to one of the box office candidates over the weekend and am currently doing reference checks for one of the development candidates. Hopefully we will have at least one person in place ahead of the One Giant Leap concerts.
- Thank you: The staffing situation has been a challenge, particularly at this time of year when we are ramping up for the season. However, I’m deeply grateful to so many Cantus colleagues who have stepped forward to help with a variety of projects. In addition to the wonderful support and collaboration of the ensemble members, the organization has benefited from help with grant reporting (Jeff); grant writing (Patricia); screening job applicants (Nancy); collating and stuffing subscription orders (Jeff, Pat Day, Marit Nowlin, and Susan Stuart); and coordinating logistics of the Season Preview event (Susan Stuart). Thank you.