Executive Director's Report
General and Admin
- Cash flow: Similar to last year, I expect there will be a fairly lean time just ahead of Cantus Idol before we rebound. Although I am just beginning work on FY19 budget and cash flow, I anticipate September will also be a lean time, as it has been in previous years.
- Jan. 16-30: $52,284
- Feb. 1-15: $61,099
- Feb. 16-28: $54,286
- March 1-15: $56,091
- March 16-31: $57,146
- April 1-15: $45,200
- April 16-30: $18,983
- May 1-15: ($4,790)
- May 16-31: $20,793
- Reforecast: I’m currently working on a midyear budget reforecast to share with the Finance Committee next month.
- Minnesota State Arts Board: General operating support interim application submitted. Applicants can’t request a specific amount; awards a decided through a formula based on funds available, budget size, and merit. Last year, we received approx. $53K.
- McKnight Foundation: LOI for a renewed, two-year general operating grant submitted. Last year, we received $30K (second year of a two-year $60K grant); this time I requested $80K over two years.
- Wenger Foundation: Cantus received a renewed grant of $5K.
- Heilmaier Foundation: Cantus received an increased grant of $5K (up from $3,500).
- Planned Giving: A longtime Cantus supporter called in December to say that she was including the organization in her estate planning and to request some documentation for her lawyer.
General and Admin
- 360s: All singers and staff completed their peer review process. I compiled the data and met with each person individually in December to discuss the anonymized, aggregated feedback.
- Harassment Policy: With guidance from a pro bono lawyer who specializes in employment law, we have developed a company policy on sexual harassment.
- Kennedy Center: In December, I used an airline voucher to travel to hear the singers perform at the Kennedy Center and to meet with Alliance Artist Management. The concert was a resounding success, and it’s wonderful to watch how well new audiences respond to the group – with energy and enthusiasm on par with our Twin Cities audiences.