Executive Director's Report
HR and Admin.
- FY18 budget: We are making progress on a sensible FY18 budget, and I look forward discussing a few key factors shaping next year’s numbers.
- Cash flow: We have passed this spring’s tight period without needing to draw upon the bridge loan generously offered by a board member – however, I am immensely grateful for having that option. Based on staff projections, the next fairly tight period may be in early September.
- May 16-31: $12,944
- June 1-15: $28,081
- June 16-30: $29,951
- July 1-15: $56,634
- July 16-31: $59,375
- August 1-15: $53,030
- August 16-31: $47,051
- Sept. 1-15: $36,576
- Sept. 16-30: $8,828
- October 1-15: $32,464
- NAF loan: The Nonprofits Assistance Fund has extended the terms of our loan. We will resume monthly payments of $2,600 beginning July 2.
- Cantus Idol: Congratulations and thank you to Carly, Brock, Marit, and everyone who helped to make the event such a resounding success!
- Athwin Foundation: In addition to the generous financial support, grantees of the Athwin Foundation are eligible for additional consultative support from the Center for Organizational Development. After a preliminary conversation on Friday, we are exploring using this to bolster our individual giving program.
- Minnesota State Arts Board: The staff attended the MSAB’s public review of Cantus’ general operating proposal, and the panel’s comments were remarkably positive. I believe we should be well positioned for continued support.
- McKnight Foundation: I met with Arts Program Director Vickie Benson last week, who was pleased to learn of the singers’ salary increases – she said this aligns very well with the Foundation’s stance that “you can’t have art without artists.” The second year of our two-year grant arrived this month; there may be growth potential there in the future.
HR and Admin.
- Transition: As you know, Joey will be Cantus new Development and Marketing Manager. He and Carly are working together now to ensure a smooth transition, and he will formally begin the role after Carly’s last day on June 10.
- Staffing levels: Driven by budget constraints, we are looking at replacing Joey’s position with a part-time employee this summer. The person in this role will provide general administrative and box office support. However, the Artistic Council, singers, and staff have identified several opportunities where singers’ admin duties can be adjusted to better align with staff duties, reduce contractor expenses, and leverage the talents of the singers.