Executive Director Report
HR and Admin.
- Board: Over the past four weeks, I’ve been fortunate to connect with nearly each of Cantus’ board members. Thank you for your insights, guidance, and words of welcome!
- Donors and the extended Cantus family: Mary Bean (donor), David Ranheim (board alumnus) and wife Judy, Rob Robbins (agent), Rebecca Davis and Anne Ulseth (publicists), Brian Newhouse (MPR), John Nuechterlein (American Composers Forum), Ed Yim (Music Accord), etc.
- Future: My focus will now be on meeting our individual donors, as well as the program officers at the foundations who support Cantus. I will also be part of Arts Advocacy Day on Tuesday, Feb. 28.
- Individuals: In partnership with Wendy Holmes, I have had (or will have) meetings with Mary Bean and Gloria Sewell. Mary formally invited Cantus to submit a proposal by April 1 to support the singers’ salary adjustments.
- Foundations: Proposals to the Anderson and Heilmaier foundations will be submitted by the March 1 deadline.
- Meeting with Brian Newhouse: Carly, Paul, and I had a very positive meeting at MPR. Brian is considering possible broadcast of America Will Be! as well as the upcoming concert with Sweet Honey in the Rock.
- American Choral Directors’ Association Conference: MPR/APM will host a booth at ACDA, and they have invited Cantus to join them for a short time as a featured choral leader (to sell CDs, sign autographs, and meet fans).
HR and Admin.
- Health Insurance: We have renewed our health insurance plans with BlueCross BlueShield.
- Sweet Honey in the Rock: We are awaiting a signed contract from the group before we sign our contract with Orchestra Hall. Carly has been in continued contact with Sweet Honey’s management.
- Romeo and Juliet and Music Accord: Update at Monday’s meeting.
- Audition Day was Friday, Feb. 24. Eight singers were scheduled to audition.
- HSR Day was Saturday, Feb. 25.
- CLA: John Polzin and Becky Munson from CliftonLarsonAllen continue to provide support since Jeff Bina left. Although perhaps not a long-term solution, they have proven to be very helpful during this time of transition.
- Cash flow: Finances look to be very tight this spring, especially leading up to Cantus Idol.
- Nonprofits Assistance Fund: Chuck Peterson and I have a meeting with our NAF program officer, Allison Wagstrom, on Monday, Feb. 27.